Tuesday 17 November 2015

Reasons to love Japan: Whisky

Miyagikyo Japanese Whisky

When most of us think of Whisky we think of Ireland or, more probably, Scotland as the leaders of the market; producers of the finest whisky.

I always believed this to be the case, and thought that I simply was not a fan of whisky, having tried a few of the more popular brands stocked by British pubs.

Then the popularity of cocktails took off, there were cocktail bars on every city street corner, and I started experimenting more with my drinks.  I soon discovered that I loved short, whisky-based cocktails.  So why didn't I like whisky?

I started enquiring in cocktail bars; learning about the brands that they used and recommended, and trying them neat.  This journey of discovery also led me to my local whisky shop.

I never expected my whisky of choice to be of Japanese origin.

Image from The Whisky Exchange.  Link to article below

Now, I mean no hyperbole:  my preference is wont to change, and I am far from an expert on whisky so cannot claim to know what is "best", I would simply recommend to people not to always to look in the obvious places for good whisky.  My own experience of Scottish and Irish whiskies, whilst limited to commercial brands, is of a lack of subtlety for the nose and pallet and an alcoholic burn that overpowers any flavour.  My experiences with Japanese Whisky, so far, have been far more nuanced.

But that's enough of my opinions!  For anyone wanting to learn a little more about Japanese Whisky, please check out the link below to an article from The Whisky Exchange

No comments:

Post a Comment